Creamy Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, lower sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 box (1 lb) uncooked elbow noodles
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- Fresh parsley, garnish as desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, combined cubed butternut squash, chicken broth, milk and garlic and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 25 minutes, until squash is tender. Meanwhile your pasta should be boiling per box instructions.
- Pour hot squash mixture into a blender and add Greek yogurt, salt and pepper. Blend until smoother and pour mixture into a large bowl. Stir in cheeses until melted and then fold in your pasta. Pour everything into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top and place in oven for about 25 minutes. Turn your broiler on to high and allow to sit an additional 3 to 5 minutes, until breadcumbs are browned. Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups • Calories: 354 • Fat: 8 g • Carbs: 55 g • Fiber: 3.5 g • Protein: 16.2 g • WW Points+: 9 pts